It is important for you to have a detailed information about ‘Pitru Dosh’. Ganesha explains:
A Pitra Dosh is not the curse of ancestors or forefathers. It is a Karmic Debt of the person. In simple words, a Pitra Dosh is formed in the horoscope of a person, when he has committed some mistakes, crimes or sins towards his parents, Guru or Teacher , wife , Brother etc.
According to general information from various Puran, Pitru Dosh occurs when the soul of our ancestors and departed forefathers does not get peace ( shanti ) due to any of the following main reason, and there may be others.
Bad deeds ( bad karma ) of our ancestors in earlier life, knowingly or unknowingly, are embarrassing their souls,
Bad deeds ( bad karma ) of children, knowingly or unknowingly, are embarrassing the soul of ancestors
Lack of fulfillments of parental desires of our ancestors,
A sudden and unnatural death of any relative ancestors in early age,
If someone fails to remember and honor the ancestors properly,
If certain wishes are remained attached with the soul of the ancestors, etc.
Our ancestors are not only our family members or relatives, but also our teachers, mentors, role models , friends, and guardians, who have contributed to our welfare and growth in this or previous life. This creates an implied obligation on us to respect them and their parental desires and calls for following good deeds. If by any chance this is not followed by anyone and they do not offer water and food to their manes, it may embarrass the souls of the ancestors, which, in turn, becomes Pitru Dosh.
Astrology has a perfect explanation to this problem. When, knowingly or unknowingly, we committed mistakes or sins towards our parent , teachers or Guru , it is reflected in our horoscope as Pitru Dosh or Pitru Rina.
Remedy of Pitra Dosh :- Pitra Paksha (Shraddha-Tarpan)
1. Krishna Paksha is better than Shukla Paksha for Tarpan (offering of water) and Shraddha (offering of food ).
2. After Noon time is better than before Noon for Tarpan and Shraddha.
3. Must Invite and offer food to Brahmin.
4. SILVER Patra is best for offering food, Tarpan and Pind-daan. (ManuSmriti 3/202)
5. Do not perform Chaturdashi Shraddha. By offering food and water to your ancestors on this 14th day of Ashwin Krishna Paksha (Pitra-Paksha), you may unwantedly be put into a war or quarrel. Young people in your house may start dying in their early age. Perform only when some has died in war/accident (Akal Mrityu). You can perform Chaturdashi’s shraddha on next day (Amavasya).
6. No Shraddha has been prescribed for abortive child.
7. Your manes will get satisfied if you will do Pind Daan, worship and Tarpan on the date of death of manes in the Krishna Paksha of Ashwini month. After that, offer food, clothes, fruits and donation to the Brahmins to pacify your manes.
8. People who don’t know the date of death of their manes can perform all these activities for pacification of their manes on the day of Amavasya in yearly shradham.
9. If you will offer Kheer to your manes on the day of Somvati Amavasya then Pitra Dosha will be removed. You can also offer food and clothes to Brahmins on every Amavasya to reduce negativity of Pitra Dosha.
10. On every Amavasya, put Kheer in the ash of cow dung cake and recall your manes in the south direction and apologize for your mistakes and Karmas.
11. Give respect your father and other senior members of family and take their blessings to strengthen the position of Sun.
12. Stand on a mat and look at the Sun during Sunrise, chant Gayatri Mantra to strengthen the position of Sun in your horoscope.
13. Wearing ruby could increase the strength of the Sun, but it depends on the position of Sun in the horoscope.