Goddess Lakshmi means Good Luck to Hindus. She is the goddess of wealth and prosperity, both material and spiritual. Lakshmi is the household goddess of most Hindu families, and a favorite of women. Although she is worshipped daily, the festive month of October is Lakshmi Maa’s special month. Maa Lakshmi Puja is celebrated on the full moon night of Kojagari Purnima.
Poojan is an important ritual. There were numerous queries on how to do Lakshmi Puja at home ? There is no straight forward answer to this question as the ritual varies from region to region. But here is a simple guide to perform Lakshmi Poojan during Diwali.
Diwali poojan is a celebration of overcoming of darkness with joy of light. In front of the goddess five diyas are decorated and Naivedya of traditional prasads are offered.
How to do Diwali Poojan
1. The area where the puja is to be performed is to be thoroughly cleaned. Goddess Laxmi and lord Ganesha is offered shower with water and panchamrit / rosewater and then again with water.
2. The traditional earthen diyas should be put in front of the idols as the light destroys the evil spirits.
3. Milk, curd, ghee, sugar and honey should be mixed to prepare panchamitra.
4. Offerings like sindoor, turmeric, diyas with ghee, abir, flowers should be done. Insence stick should be lighted.
5. Fruits, sweets should be offered. Token money should also be offered followed by paan and cloves. Later blessings should be seeked.
6. Every poojan is started with the Aradhana of Ganesh Bhagwan and aarti is also to be sung.
7. Then Maa Laxmi poojan takes place by placing lotus and flowers at her feet. Silver coin is also offered followed by aarti.
Three forms of Shakti – Goddess Lakshmi, Goddess Saraswathi and Goddess Durga – Lord Ganesha and Lord Kubera are worshipped on the day. No poojan is performed without paying customary tributes to Lord Ganesha. Lord Kubera represents wealth, and he is the treasurer of Gods. In homes, usually the locker or safe in which gold and cash is kept symbolically represents the seat of Kubera